Friday, 8 July 2016

Exeter Deaf Academy: Moves to reassure parents..

Exeter Deaf AcademyParents are continuing to be assured that it's business as normal at Exeter Deaf Academy after a major investigation was launched at the school involving the police and Devon County Council.

The Echo has been told of one family pulling their child out of the school, but the academy says they have been the only ones and the pupil will be returning.The investigation follows concerns raised about the school, including how people are looked after.

The Echo has also been supplied with the names of three members of staff who it is said have been suspended pending the investigation, but the school in Topsham Road would neither confirm or deny if anyone had been suspended.

A spokesperson for the academy said: "We are aware of one parent who temporarily removed their children. However, we are expecting them back next week.  "Devon County Council have asked that the school and college remain open during the investigation and this has clearly reassured parents.

"Academy chief executive Jonathan Farnhill has spoken to many parents personally over the last few days and remains available to any parents who wish to speak with him.

"Parents have been overwhelming positive with Jonathan about their and their children's experience of the Academy and we are grateful for their support."

Exeter Deaf Academy is a charity and has been based in Exeter for nearly 190 years. It has full planning permission for a new academy and are currently negotiating the sale of its current site.The school has launched a major fundraising campaign to raise the significant funds it needs to build the new school.

In March, Exeter Deaf Academy residential provision was rated as "requires improvement" by Oftsed inspectors.  The academy previously confirmed this week it is working with Devon County Council, the police and other authorities to review its practice as part of the investigation.


No comments:

Post a Comment